Thu, 26 Apr 2018
SQL Workbench/J is a free SQL query, import, export and diff tool for various databases.
SQL Workbench/J supports JDBC, enabling it to connect to databases for which a JDBC driver is available. The Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge extends the number of databases that are available to SQL Workbench/J by bridging between JDBC and ODBC. You can then also work with data from backends for which an ODBC driver is available. For example, you can connect SQL Workbench/J to Microsoft Access by using the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge and the ODBC Driver for Microsoft Access:
Note Currently, the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge supports 32-bit ODBC drivers only. On Windows, all recent Easysoft ODBC drivers install both a 32-bit and a 64-bit ODBC driver.
These steps show how to work with ODBC data in SQL Workbench/J on Windows:
- Configure a System ODBC data source for the database that you want to connect to in SQL Workbench/J.
To do this, use the 32-bit version of ODBC Data Source Administrator on your SQL Workbench/J machine. On some versions of Windows, this is located in Control Panel > Administrative Tools. On some version of Windows, you need to search for ODBC in the taskbar search box. The 32-bit version of ODBC Data Source Administrator should be clearly labelled. If in doubt, in the Windows Run dialog box, type:
- Download the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge. (Registration required.)
- Install and license the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge on the machine where you created the data source.
For installation instructions, see the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge documentation.
- In SQL Workbench/J, choose File > Manage Drivers.
The Manage Drivers dialog box is displayed.
- Choose new entry button at the top left of the dialog box.
- Complete the dialog box fields:
Setting Value Name JOB Class easysoft.sql.jobDriver Library Browse to and select the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge JAR file, EJOB.jar.
EJOB.jar is installed in the following location on the machine where you installed the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge:
On 64-bit Windows, the default location for <easysoft_install> is
<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Easysoft Limited\Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge.
If necessary, copy EJOB.jar to the machine where you have installed SQL Workbench/J.
Sample URL jdbc:easysoft://my_job_machine/my_odbc_data_source:logonuser=my_windows_user:logonpassword=my_windows_password
- Choose OK.
- Choose File > New Connect Window.
The Select Connection Profile dialog box is displayed.
- Choose JOB (easysoft.sql.jobDriver) from the Driver list.
- Choose OK from the Driver list.
- Execute a SQL query against the new database connection in the statement. For example:
select * from suppliers