ISAM ODBC Driver
The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver makes your ISAM data fully accessible from SQL, making it easy for end users to retrieve, update and analyse the data. Our customers have found that our ISAM ODBC driver offers them the best solution for formatting and analysising data, and delivering it into a vast array of applications.
In the unlikely event that you need help with the installation of this driver then our support team is on hand to assist you.
ODBC Driver for C-ISAM and D-ISAM Files
The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver provides relational, real-time, read/write access to C-ISAM and D-ISAM data for ODBC-enabled applications on Windows, UNIX and Linux. The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver makes your ISAM data fully accessible from SQL, making it easy for end users to retrieve, update and analyse the data. Our customers have successfully used the Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver to:
- Analyse, format and deliver ISAM data in Microsoft Excel, Crystal Reports and BusinessObjects.
- Provide a user friendly, graphical interface to ISAM data by developing custom front ends in programming languages such as Microsoft Visual Basic, C++, C# and Borland Delphi.
- Publish ISAM data in web pages by accessing ISAM files through ODBC from PHP/Perl/ASP running under a web server.
Indexed Sequential Access Method (ISAM) data is organized into records that are stored sequentially in ISAM files. An index file is used to store key values that identify each record along with pointers that locate the corresponding record in the database. This speeds up data retrieval because individual records can be retrieved without having to search the entire data set. Because ISAM provides fast and cost-effective access to data without the overhead of an relational database management system (RDBMS), ISAM continues to be a viable solution for many companies.
The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver reads the ISAM file definitions from an Easysoft schema file; your ISAM files and applications remain unchanged. You create the schema with the Easysoft Administrator, an easy to use, graphical, administration program provided with the driver.
The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver supports Informix C-ISAM (http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/cisam) and Byte Designs DISAM file systems.
Relational Access to C-ISAM and D-ISAM Data
- SQL access Query and update your ISAM data by using SQL. Retrieve information from multiple ISAM files at once by using joins. Use SQL to create tables, the corresponding ISAM files do not have to exist, they will be created as required.
- Efficient data retrieval If your ISAM files are remote, reduce expensive network traffic by using SQL to filter data at the server so that only the minimum data required is returned to the application.
- Protect sensitive data Use views to restrict what columns or rows users can see.
- Integration with relational databases Integrate non-relational ISAM data with relational databases such as Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Access. For example, create a linked server in SQL Server to access your ISAM data and then take advantage of features available in SQL Server such as stored procedures.
Remote ODBC/JDBC Access to C-ISAM and D-ISAM Data
- Cross-platform ODBC access If your ISAM files and ODBC-enabled applications are on different machines, connect your applications to your remote ISAM data by combining the Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver with the Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge. This solution has enabled our customers to access ISAM files on UNIX and Linux from Windows applications such as Visual Basic, SQL Server, Access and Excel.
- Cross-platform JDBC access For cross-platform JDBC access to remote ISAM files from Java, use the Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver with the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge.
- Query optimisation The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver automatically analyses queries to determine whether the SQL can be transformed into equivalent but better performing SQL. The transformed query returns the same results as the original query but can be processed more efficiently.
- Indexes The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver takes advantage of indexes set on the tables in a query to increase performance. If necessary, the Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver rearranges the order in which tables are processed to enable an index to be used.
Administration and Security
- Easy configuration The Easysoft Administrator provides a simple to use, graphical interface that lets you populate the schema necessary to describe the structure of your ISAM data.
- User-level security Control access to your ISAM data by creating user accounts that define who can access each table and whether the data is read-only. You can also limit what columns or rows a user can access by creating views.
- Integration with ISAM applications You can continue to use your existing applications to read and update ISAM data. The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver can mirror the locking mode for any version of C-ISAM, enabling ODBC-enabled applications and legacy applications to access ISAM files concurrently.
- D-ISAM transaction support The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver is compatible with the D-ISAM transaction mechanism.
- ODBC 3.5 support The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver conforms to the ODBC 3.5 specification and is compatible with ODBC-enabled applications on Windows, UNIX and Linux.
The Easysoft ODBC-ISAM Driver is currently available on these platforms:
|v1.3 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||Linux (x86) (32 - Bit)||(kernel 2.2-2.6, glibc 2.1+)|
|v1.3 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||Solaris (Sparc) (32 - Bit)||(2.6-2.10)|
|v1.3 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||Windows (x86) (32 - Bit, 64 - Bit)||(7, 8, 2012 R2, 10, 2016, 2019)|
|v1.2 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||AIX (PPC) (32 - Bit)||(4.3-5.3)|
|v1.2 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||AIX (PPC) (32 - Bit)||(4.1)|
|v1.2 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||HP-UX (PA-Risc) (32 - Bit)||(11)|
|v1.2 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||HP-UX (PA-Risc) (32 - Bit)||(10.10-11)|
|v1.2 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||SCO Open Server (x86) (32 - Bit)||(5)|
|v1.2 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||SCO Unixware (x86) (32 - Bit)||(7.0)|
|v1.2 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||SCO Unixware (x86) (32 - Bit)||(2.1.3)|
|v1.2 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||Sinix (MIPS) (32 - Bit)||(5.4.3)|
|v1.2 (D-ISAM pre 4.1-7.26)||Solaris (x86) (32 - Bit)||(2.8)|