Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge Getting Started Guide
This guide will lead you through the download, installation and licensing of the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge.
At the end you will be able to use a sample Java test program to access data in your own ODBC compliant databases.
The process will take 15-30 minutes, excluding software download time.
If you are installing in order to evaluate the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge, the process will allow you to obtain a free trial license.
The instructions for the Windows server installation of the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge are quite specific. For installation details on any alternative platforms please refer to the product manual (HTML or PDF).
If you have already installed the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge and want to start programming immediately then please refer to the Programming Guide.
- The Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge is to be installed on a Windows system on which one or more ODBC System Data Sources have been configured.
- You are using Internet Explorer as your browser. Users should ensure that the JVM JIT compiler is NOT set. This option can be found under Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Microsoft VM.
- You have unrestricted access to the Internet in order to complete the licensing part of the installation routine. If you are NOT online, you can get a license from Easysoft by telephone or email. Full details can be found in the Easysoft Licensing documentation (HTML or PDF).
The process is in four steps:
- Download the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge software.
- Install and configure the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge.
- Access your data sources.
Step 1. Login
- Login. If you have not yet done so, you need to register first. On the registration form, an asterisk (*) indicates that a field is mandatory.
Step 2. Download the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge software
- Select Download from the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge section of the website.
- On the Download page, choose Windows x86 as the server platform and click download.
- On the File Download dialog box ensure that Save this program to disk is selected and click OK.
- On the Save As dialog box select the directory on your server machine where you want to save the program and click Save.
- On the Download complete dialog box click Open.
Step 3. Install and configure the Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge
- On the Welcome dialog box click Next.
- On the Software License Agreement dialog box click Yes to accept the licence terms.
- On the Setup Type dialog box ensure that Typical is selected and click Next.
- On the User Information dialog box enter your name and company and click Next.
- On the JOB Server Administrator dialog box enter the name of a valid Windows user and click Next.
- On the Start Copying Files dialog box click Next.
- Obtain a free trial licence using the Easysoft Data Access License Manager:
- On the main window complete all of the Contact Information and click Request License.
- In License Type ensure that Time Limited Trial is selected and click Next.
- Select Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge from the drop-down list of products and click Next.
- Click On-Line Request. You will get a message to tell you that your license has been added. Click OK.
- Click Finish on the main window.
- On the JDBC-ODBC Bridge Server Launcher dialog box ensure that the I would like to launch Easysoft JDBC-ODBC Bridge check box is selected and click Finish.
Step 4. Access your data sources
- A Web Browser is launched displaying the EJOB Applet Demonstration window.
- In Logon User and Logon PWD, enter a valid user name and password for the server machine (these may be for either the server machine itself or for a domain, if the server is on a network) and click Connect.
- A dialog box displays a drop-down box containing a list of the system data sources available for you to access on your machine. Pick the one you would like to try and press Connect.
- Double-click on any table name under Tables to retrieve up to 100 rows of that table. Note that the number of tables and rows displayed is specified in the JDBC URL as connection attribute
- You can now run queries by typing SQL-92 statements in the SQL box and clicking Submit.
- You can run the demonstration Java applet or application by choosing Programs > Easysoft > JDBC-ODBC Bridge from the Windows Start menu.
- If you wish to write your own Java applications then please read the Programming Guide.