Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway Getting Started
This guide will lead you through the download, installation and licensing of the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway.
At the end you will be able to access your Java databases and other JDBC data sources from ODBC-compliant applications on Windows.
If you already have a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed and a target JDBC driver the process will take approximately 10-15 minutes, excluding software download time.
If you are installing in order to evaluate the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway, the process will allow you to obtain a free trial license with no restrictions for a period of 14 days.
- The Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway is to be installed on a Windows system for which you have administrative privileges.
- You have a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed. If this is not the case you should install a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) before proceeding. You can download a JRE (which includes a JVM) from either Oracle® or IBM, both of which have been tested with the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway.
64-bit Windows To use the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway with a 64-bit application, you need to install a 64-bit JVM. Likewise, to use the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway with a 32-bit application, you need to install a 32-bit JVM. You can download both a 32-bit JRE and a 62-bit JRE from Oracle®.
- You have the necessary configuration details to access your target JDBC driver (a valid database user name and password, the Driver Class, the Class Path and the URL). If you are unsure of these settings you should refer to the documentation with your JDBC driver, contact your database administrator or email .
- You have unrestricted access to the Internet in order to complete the licensing part of the installation routine. If you are NOT online, you can get a license from Easysoft by telephone or email. Full details can be found in the Easysoft Licensing documentation (HTML or PDF).
The process is in five steps:
- Download the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway software.
- Install and license the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway.
- Configure an ODBC data source (DSN).
- Access your data source.
Step 1. Login
- Login. If you have not yet done so, you need to register first. On the registration form, an asterisk (*) indicates that a field is mandatory.
Step 2. Download the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway software
- Select Download from the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway section of the website.
- On the Download page, choose the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway distribution for your version of Windows, and click download.
- Follow your browser instructions to save the distribution file to a temporary directory on the target platform.
Step 3. Install and license the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway
- Ensuring that you are still logged in as the Administrator on your Windows system, change into the directory where the distribution was saved.
- Run through the install procedure by double-clicking on the distribution file and answering the questions as appropriate for your requirements.
- During the installation process the Easysoft Data Access License Manager will be displayed. If you are online to the Internet you can obtain an evaluation license by completing the contact details, then clicking Request License. Then choose Time Limited Trial and select Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway from the list of products. Click Next and finally On-line Request.
- Click Finish to leave the License Manager.
Step 4. Configure an ODBC Data Source (DSN)
- Start the Microsoft ODBC Administrator. To do this, in Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Data Sources (ODBC).
64-bit Windows On 64-bit Windows platforms, there is both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of ODBC Administrator. To configure an ODBC data source for use with a 64-bit application, use the 64-bit version of ODBC Administrator, which is accessed from Administrative Tools. To configure an ODBC data source for use with a 32-bit application, use the 32-bit version of ODBC Administrator, which is accessed by typing the following command in the Windows Run dialog box:
If you are not sure whether your application is 32-bit or 64-bit, run the application and open Task Manager (right-click the taskbar, and then click Task Manager). If the application process has "*32" after its name, it is a 32-bit application. Otherwise, it is a 64-bit application.
- Choose the Drivers Tab and check that the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway is listed.
- Choose the System DSN Tab and click Add.
- Select the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway from the list of drivers and click Finish. The Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway DSN Setup window will be displayed.
- Complete the required fields and click Test to validate your configuration.
Step 5. Access your Data Source
This example uses Microsoft Access as a sample ODBC-compliant application:
- Open up a blank database within Access by selecting Blank Access database and clicking OK.
- In the File New Database dialog box the File name field will default to a name of the format
db.mdb. Either accept the suggested filename or change it and click Create.
- In the Database dialog box right-click on Tables and then select Link Tables from the submenu.
- In the Link dialog box select ODBC Databases() from the Files of type list.
- In the Select Data Source dialog box choose the Machine Data Source tab, select your DSN Name and click OK.
- Highlight a table name and click OK (if the Select Unique Record Identifier dialog box is displayed, click OK to make the table read-only).
- Double-click on the table name in the Database dialog box and the data is displayed.
- You are now ready to use the Easysoft ODBC-JDBC Gateway with your own applications or development tools.