Easysoft Licensing User Guide - Introduction
How to license Easysoft products
Most Easysoft products cannot be used until they have been licensed.
This section describes the different elements of Easysoft licensing and how they work.
How licensing works
Easysoft product licenses are generated and managed using the License Server and the License Manager:
- The License Manager runs on the machine on which you are running the software and is used to obtain either an authorization code or a machine number.
- This information is sent to the License Server on a machine at Easysoft, which generates and then returns a license key.
Only your contact details and license request identifier are passed to the License Server at Easysoft.
- The License Manager is then used to apply the license key and you can begin to use your chosen Easysoft product.
Trial and purchased licenses
Easysoft products cannot be used until you have licensed them.
The following types of license are available:
- A trial license is free and gives you unrestricted use of the product for a limited period (usually 14 days). This license is designed for beta testers and customers wishing to evaluate Easysoft products.
- A purchased license can be obtained for a fixed number of concurrent database connections, or unlimited concurrent database connections. Only the license is purchased. The software product itself remains the property of Easysoft.
A trial or purchased product license can be obtained either during installation or by running the License Manager seperately later.
You cannot obtain a purchased license until you have received an authorization code (see Authorization codes).
Also, depending on how you apply for a trial or purchased license, you may need to supply a machine number (see Machine numbers) to Easysoft and apply the license key (see License keys) to activate the license.
At the discretion of Easysoft, customers obtaining trial licenses are provided with support during their evaluation period from the Easysoft Support team at email@example.com. Support contracts for purchased licenses can be purchased by contacting Easysoft Sales team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
An authorization code represents a product code and number of licensed connections purchased. It is not specific to any one machine (see Machine numbers).
To obtain a purchased license for a product you must have an authorization code, which is emailed to you when you purchase the product (either from the Easysoft web site at http://www.easysoft.com or by contacting the Easysoft Sales team via email@example.com).
You do not need an authorization code to obtain a trial license.
Some Easysoft Data Access products consist of multiple components, so a single authorization code can result in multiple licenses, one for each component of the product.
No trial or purchased license can be generated until the Easysoft License Server has received the machine number of the machine on which the software is installed.
- If this machine has a connection to the Internet (is online), the machine number can be delivered to the Easysoft License Server automatically. A license key is then generated and applied automatically and you can start using the software.
- If this machine does not have a connection to the Internet (is offline), you must acquire the machine number by running the License Manager and then send it to the Easysoft Licensing team at firstname.lastname@example.org. The license key is then emailed to you to be applied manually.
The Easysoft License Server generates a license key when it has received either your authorization code (for purchased licenses) or your machine number (for trial and purchased licenses).
The license key must then be applied on the machine where the software is installed (note that in the case of client-server software that the license is always installed on the server machine):
- If this machine has a connection to the Internet (is online), and you chose the automatic/online license request, the license key is applied automatically and you need not be aware of it.
- If this machine does not have a connection to the Internet (is offline), after you have sent your machine number to the Easysoft Licensing team at email@example.com you will receive your license key by email and you must apply it manually.
Once the license key has been applied, you can begin using the software.
Operating system upgrades or certain hardware changes (such as replacing the network card) nullify licenses and require new ones to be requested.
Before you begin
Before you license a product, you must know:
- whether you want a trial or purchased license.
- whether the machine on which the software will be running is a Windows or Unix machine.
- whether the machine on which the software will be running is online or offline (that is, whether or not it has a connection to the Internet).
When you have this information, go to the licensing section which is relevant to you: